The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) is currently working on a project to provide the traveling public with increased connectivity at the Loop 303 / Interstate10 interchange. The $63 million project includes several new ramps, structures/bridges, improvements at Van Buren Street and Cotton Lane, improvements to the frontage roads, rubberized asphalt and pavement markings.
The project is being constructed in three stages to minimize impacts. Some stages of construction will overlap.
The first stage of construction included building the following:
- Completed initial sections of the four interchange ramps (northbound Loop 303 to eastbound I-10, northbound Loop 303 to westbound I-10, eastbound I-10 to southbound Loop 303, westbound I-10 to southbound Loop 303).Northbound Loop 303 ramp that connects to westbound I-10
- Major earthwork completed for the construction of the Loop 303
- Intersection and drainage improvements at Van Buren Street
- Completed construction of westbound frontage road bridge over Loop 303
- Completed rubberized asphalt on eastbound and westbound I-10
- Completed drainage for major storm drain conveyance to the flood control channel
- Major utilities were relocated
- New traffic intersection constructed at Van Buren Street (opening scheduled for late spring)
As some construction activities continue from the first stage, crews have begun work on stage two construction activities as follows:
- Constructing the southbound frontage road from the existing westbound frontage (north of I-10) to Van Buren Street
- Once the southbound frontage road is constructed, both northbound and southbound traffic will use the new southbound frontage road as a temporary detour due to the closure of Cotton Lane while the northbound frontage road is under construction. Cotton Lane will be closed in mid-March 2017 between Van Buren Street and the westbound frontage road (see map).
- Constructing the Loop 303 freeway between McDowell Road and Van Buren Street
- Constructing the northbound frontage road
- Progress continues on the construction of the four interchange ramps (northbound Loop 303 to eastbound I-10, northbound Loop 303 to westbound I-10, eastbound I-10 to southbound Loop 303, westbound I-10 to southbound Loop 303)
- Completing the Van Buren Street interchange (late Spring 2017)
- Completing signage and striping for northbound and southbound frontage roads for opening to traffic in late June 2017
Stage three construction is scheduled to begin in September 2017 with a mid-October 2017 project completion date
- Place rubberized asphalt on new Loop 303 between Thomas and McDowell roads
- Install final striping and signage on Loop 303 and I-10
- Install final seeding and various landscape
If you would like to be notified via email when traffic alerts are issued, please subscribe for email updates.